Classic chicken schnitzel inspired me to create this light and refreshing Italian-style dish. We serve the chicken with angel hair pasta and broccoli.
Spicy lemon butter sauce
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 lb. butter
1/2 tsp. shallots, minced
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
Salt, to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups flour
1 cup cream
2 cups panko bread crumbs
3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. pepper
Oil for frying
- For sauce: Slice butter into pats and allow to soften at room temperature. Cut lemon in half and mince aromatics.
- In a small pot, add a pat of butter and allow to melt. Add minced aromatics, and immediately afterward add cream. Let cream reduce on high heat.
- Add pepper and lemon juice, and rind, if desired. When cream looks twice as thick, turn heat off.
- Add butter and let dissolve into cream a few pieces at a time. Add more butter before first batch completely melts. Repeat until product is used up.
- Season to taste with salt. Strain and set aside, or serve chunky.
- For chicken: Heat oven to 350 F. Roll chicken breasts in flour to coat and shake off excess.
- Mix cream and eggs together to form egg wash and dip in wash to coat well.
- Mix Italian seasoning, panko, salt and pepper together and coat chicken, then shake off excess.
- Deep-fry breaded chicken for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil, place on sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes or until internal temperature is 165 F.
- Serve alongside buttered broccoli, angel hair pasta and 2 ounces lemon butter sauce.
Yield: 4 servings