So many orders came in when we first offered this salad on our menu that we had to change our production format for the rest of the day. The ingredients are flexible—we’ve also done it with salmon, mahi-mahi, pork tenderloin and shrimp.
1 cup fresh parsley
2 tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
2 tbsp. fresh thyme
3-4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive oil
2 lbs. flank steak
2 lbs. fresh salad greens
2 lbs. cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, julienned
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
1 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- For vinaigrette: Wash all produce. Finely chop 1/2 each of parsley, oregano, thyme and garlic. Place in a food processor and pulse.
- Turn processor on high. Add vinegar, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Add olive oil slowly until dressing develops. Adjust seasoning to taste and reserve half of dressing.
- For steak: Marinate steak in unreserved dressing for at least 8 hours.
- Prepare char-broiler with high heat. Sear steak evenly on both sides, about 10 minutes, until internal temp is about 130-135 F. Allow steak to rest 10 minutes before carving, then thinly slice.
- For salad: Wash produce. Toss all produce with reserved vinaigrette.
- For service: Evenly divide salad mixture among plates and place 4 ounces sliced flank steak on each. Finish with fresh crumbled gorgonzola.
Yield: 4-6 servings