Homemade marinara sauce, cheese and chicken—comfort food at its best. Even Steph Curry did a video about our Chicken Parmesan when he was a student at Davidson.
Vegetable or olive oil
4 oz. chopped garlic
1 1/2 lbs. onions, peeled and diced
8 oz. diced green bell pepper
1/2 oz. Italian seasoning
1/2 can (#10 size) crushed tomatoes
1/2 can (#10 size) tomato puree
1/4 can (#10 size) tomato paste
1 1/2 cans (#10 size) tomato juice
3 qt. water
1/2 cup sugar
1 case breaded chicken patties
1 1/2 qt. marinara sauce
1 lb. mozzarella cheese, diced
1 oz. chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare marinara sauce: In large saucepot, heat oil; add chopped garlic, onions, green pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook about 20 minutes until softened.
- Stir in remaining ingredients in order given. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 45 minutes.
- Prepare chicken: Place chicken patties in deep fryer with enough oil to cover (oil temperature should be 350 F). Cook 5 to 7 minutes until internal temperature of chicken reaches 160 F and patties are golden brown.
- Heat marinara sauce. Ladle out 12 ounces of sauce to cover bottom of 2-inch deep hotel pan. Place cooked chicken on sauce; top with 2 cups more sauce.
- Spread mozzarella cheese on top; sprinkle with chopped parsley. Place pan in warmer box so cheese will melt.
Yield: 40 servings