In our schools, this breakfast treat ranks high as a grab-and-go item with the K-12 crowd. We reformulated the recipe to a whole-grain product with a fat-free icing, and while it took the kids time to get used to the whole-grain shift, we now serve 35,000 to 40,000 a week.
1 1/4 lb. margarine
2 1/2 lb. sugar
14 oz. cinnamon
1 1/2 oz. butter flavor (extract or emulsion)
1 oz. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
3 lb. powdered sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
7 oz. water
5 lb. whole-wheat flour (high protein)
4 1/4 lb. all-purpose flour
8 oz. instant-dry yeast
1 1/4 lb. granulated sugar
1/2 oz. salt
4 3/4 lb. cold water
3/4 lb. margarine
1 oz. vanilla
- For shmeer: Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and whip until smooth/spreadable; set aside.
- For icing: Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth; set aside.
- For rolls: Combine dry ingredients and mix for 3 minutes. Add wet ingredients and mix on medium speed for 8 minutes.
- When dough is mixed to proper consistency, roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness in a rectangular shape. Apply shmeer and roll dough widthwise, starting with longer side. Cut into individual rolls and proof until doubled in size.
- Bake at 340 F in convection oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Allow rolls to cool to about room temperature. Ice with roughly 1 ounce icing per roll, and serve.
Yield: 5 dozen rolls