We developed this gluten-free vegan item for our "Super Foods Week" promotion. Students say it’s a real treat when we run it as an entree because of the fresh avocado.
Juice of 1 lemon
Mixed salad greens
1 1/2 lb. jicama
2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup canola-olive oil blend
Roasted red pepper coulis
12 oz. roasted red peppers
4 tsp. canola-olive oil blend
1/2 oz. shallots, minced
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- For avocados: Cut avocados in half and remove pits; leave skin intact. Combine lemon juice and enough water for dipping. Dip avocado halves in mixture to prevent oxidation; set aside.
- Peel oranges and separate into sections; set aside.
- For jicama slaw: Peel and shred jicama into large bowl. In small bowl, whisk lime juice, vinegar, cilantro, sugar, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil.
- Add lime mixture to jicama and toss to combine. Fold orange segments.
- For coulis: Remove skin from peppers, if necessary. Saute shallots in 1 teaspoon oil until translucent; cool.
- In blender, puree red peppers with shallots, adding some of red pepper liquid, if needed. Drizzle in remaining 3 teaspoons oil until emulsified.
- To serve, place some salad greens on plate; top with avocado half. Fill avocado with slaw mixture and drizzle with red pepper coulis.
Yield: 12 servings