We launched this burger at The Wicked Grill in Cafe 34 at Microsoft’s Redmond, Wash., campus, but later expanded it to additional cafes due to its popularity. The patty is half Angus beef and half smoked wild boar bacon, grilled and topped with mushrooms, caramelized onions, chocolate stout cheddar cheese and horseradish aioli on a brioche bun.
Pepper bacon patties
2 lb. pepper-crusted bacon
2 lb. signature beef blend (12 oz. each of ground sirloin, ground chuck and ground beef brisket)
12 slices wild boar bacon
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
6 oz. chocolate stout cheese, sliced into 1-oz. slices
6 brioche buns
1/2 oz. fresh horseradish root
1/8 oz. roasted garlic cloves
5 oz. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. salted butter
2 tbsp. olive oil-canola blend
4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 tsp. unsalted butter
8 oz. fresh mushrooms
1/2 garlic clove, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. teriyaki sauce
1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp. red wine
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- For bacon patties: In food processor, place chilled bacon; process until finely chopped.
- Transfer to large, metal bowl. Add beef blend, salt and pepper; lightly mix. Portion mixture into patties 3/4-inch thick and 5 inches across. Place thumb print in center of each patty half the depth of the patty. Place patties on lined sheet pans in blast chiller to cool below 40 F. Store in cooler.
- Meanwhile, prepare aioli: Puree garlic in blender until smooth. Grate horseradish.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, 1/8 teaspoon salt and garlic puree. Whisk continuously until thick. Stir in lemon juice, grated horseradish, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper; chill until ready to use.
- Prepare onions: In saute pan, melt butter with oil. Add onion slices; cook slowly over low heat 15 to 20 minutes until browned and translucent. Keep warm.
- Prepare mushrooms: In large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and butter. Add mushrooms, garlic, teriyaki sauce, garlic salt, wine and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 to 8 minutes longer until mushrooms are tender. Keep warm.
- Prepare burgers: Cook wild boar bacon until crisp; set aside.
- Season patties with salt and pepper; cook on flat top until internal temperature reaches 158 F. Top each patty with 1 slice cheese; allow to melt.
- Toast buns on flat top. Spread 1 ounce horseradish aioli on both toasted sides of bun. Place a burger on bun bottom; top with 2 bacon slices, sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions. Close sandwich with a pick.
Yield: 6 burgers