Macaroni and cheese is nostalgic for many of our students. People do not cook large family meals as frequently as in the past, and having this dish prepared for them allows them to take a minute, enjoy the tastes and reconnect with home. Diners can customize with a choice of add-ins, including bacon, scallions and fresh tomatoes.
2 lb. elbow macaroni
4 oz. unsalted butter
4 1/2 oz. all-purpose flour
2 1/4 qt., 1/2 cup 2% milk
1 tbsp., 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3/8 tsp. ground white pepper
1 1/2 lb. American cheese loaf, shredded
1 lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
- Follow directions for cooking macaroni; chill and hold for service.
- In kettle with ship or large saucepot, melt butter over low heat. Slowly whisk in flour, stirring constantly. Cook about 20 minutes to make sure flour is completely cooked.
- Whisk in milk, stirring constantly to blend ingredients. Bring to a simmer, whisking to ensure there are no lumps. Whisk in salt and pepper until smooth.
- Slowly add cheeses to liquid, stirring constantly to melt. Do not allow liquid to boil; it should be at a slight simmer.
- Add cooked macaroni to pot with sauce mixture; stir well to mix ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Transfer mixture into 2-inch-deep greased hotel pan. Bake in oven about 20 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165 F. Remove from oven and let rest about 5 minutes before portioning into 1-cup servings.
Yield: 40 servings