Roast Beef & Mushroom Hash
A hash dish to meant to delight. Tender on the inside and crusty on the outside with mushrooms, beets and chili powder for extra flavor.
1 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, diced
1/2 lb. shiitake mushroom caps, julienned
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. beef sirloin, in 1/2-in. cubes
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 cup seeded plum tomato, diced (or blanched, halved baby beets)
- Boil potatoes until softened but still firm, about 12 min. Drain and spread out on cookie sheet to cool.
- Heat oil in a wide sauté pan over med.-high heat; sauté onion until golden, about 6 min.
- Add the par-boiled potatoes and cook until they start to brown, about 4-5 min. Then add the mushrooms and sauté 3-4 min. more. Season the sauté with salt and pepper and transfer to bowl, using a slotted spoon.
- Add cubed beef to the same sauté pan and brown all sides evenly over high heat, retaining med.- rare interior, 7-8 min. This can be done in batches if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chili powder, diced tomato or beets, cilantro, and cooked vegetables, and mix well. Press down along edges and cook over low heat to form a crust along bottom of pan.