Raspberry Chipotle Veggie Tacos
Chef Rebecca Polson
Minneapolis Public Schools
These plant-based tacos combine sweet potatoes and black beans with a fruity raspberry-chipotle sauce for a tasty way to get more vegetables and fruit into school lunch. Some of the components can be made ahead to speed up execution.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
11 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
½ cup canola oil
1 tbsp. Kosher salt
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. granulated garlic
1 tbsp. paprika
Raspberry Chipotle Black Beans
½ cup canola oil
2 1/3 cups diced onion
1/8 cup fresh chopped garlic
1/8 cup vegetable base
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. chili powder
1/8 cup canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
2 cans (#10 size) black beans
2 cups frozen red raspberries
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1/8 cup fresh lime juice
2 lb. radishes
2 cups water
2 tsp. kosher salt
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup distilled white vinegar
3 cups light sour cream
1/8 cup lime juice
1/8 cup 1% milk
2 tsp. chipotle base
½ cup frozen red raspberries
100 whole grain tortillas (6-in. size), warmed
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- For sweet potatoes, preheat oven to 400 F. Toss diced sweet potatoes with oil. Combine salt, pepper, garlic and paprika; toss with sweet potatoes to coat evenly.
- Place sweet potatoes on parchment-lined sheet pan in one later. Roast in preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes until fork tender; set aside.
- For beans, measure oil into stockpot; place over medium-low heat. Add onions; cook about 5 minutes until translucent, stirring constantly.
- Add chopped garlic to onions and saute 1 minutes. Stir in vegetable base and spices; stir continuously for about 1 minute. Add one chopped chipotle pepper and 2 tablespoons adobo sauce to onion mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring continuously, Add black beans; reduce heat to low.
- Stir in frozen raspberries until well combined. Cover pot, leaving lid slightly ajar. Simmer 1 hour. Stir in salt and lime juice; keep warm.
- For pickled radishes, wash radishes and dry. Slice thin, using a food processor; transfer to medium bowl.
- Place water in medium saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil. Stir in salt and sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
- Pour hot liquid over sliced radishes; allow to stand at least 2 hours before service or refrigerate up to 7 days.
- For raspberry crema, combine sour cream, lime juice, milk, chipotle base and raspberries in blender container; cover and blend until smooth.
- Per serving, top 1 tortilla with ¼ cup roasted sweet potatoes, ¼ cup reserved black beans, 1 tablespoon pickled radishes and 1½ teaspoons crema.
Photo courtesy of Washington Red Raspberry Commission