Pistachio Chocolate Tart With Caramel Mascarpone & Ganache
Chef Lauren Mitterer
Wild Flour Pastry
Chocolate is party food, and these individual tarts showcase the flavor in all its glory. Pastry chef Lauren Mitterer complements the chocolate with caramel sauce, crunchy pistachios and creamy mascarpone cheese. It’s a welcome indulgence for an indulgent evening.
8 oz. butter
½ cup sugar
2 cups flour
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup ground pistachios
Caramel mascarpone ganache
8 oz. mascarpone
2 oz. caramel sauce (recipe below)
¾ cup chopped chocolate
¾ cup heavy cream
½ cup water
10 oz. sugar
1 oz. corn syrup
1 oz. butter
1 cup heavy cream
- For tart shells: In bowl of electric mixer, combine butter, sugar and salt; add flour, cocoa and pistachios. With mixer at medium speed, beat until dough forms. Gently press dough into individual tart pans. Chill in freezer until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a small square of parchment paper on top of dough and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake about 10 minutes or until sides are slightly firm. Remove from oven and let cool. Remove weights and bake again to crisp, about 5 minutes longer.
- Prepare ganache: In mixer bowl, combine mascarpone and caramel sauce; whip with whisk attachment until stiff. Spread mixture in bottom of tart shells and refrigerate.
- In saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate, starting from the middle and stirring until cream is incorporated.
- For caramel sauce: In medium saucepan combine in this order: water, sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until syrup reaches desired golden color. (While sugar is boiling, have a cup of water and brush nearby; occasionally brush sides of pot with water to prevent sugar from crystallizing.)
- Gradually add butter and heavy cream to golden syrup, stirring constantly. (Add liquid slowly to prevent splashing; the mixture will also bubble so make sure arms are protected.) Once cream and butter is added, transfer mixture from saucepan into desired storage container. Leave at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until cool. Refrigerate to cool completely.
- To assemble tart: Gently scoop chocolate cream mixture (ganache) onto caramel mascarpone mixture already in tart shells. Make sure ganache is warm enough so that it forms a smooth top. Refrigerate finished tart until ready to serve. Top with toasted, salted pistachios.
Photo courtesy of American Pistachio Growers