Lemon and Cheese Stuffed Cookies
Chef Paola Velez
Maydan, Compass Rose and La Bodega Bakery
Pastry chef Paola Velez created this savory cookie recipe for the Boursin Wow-liday Cookie Challenge. The cookies were inspired by Noche Buena holiday cookies, a holiday tradition and favorite of chef Velez’s family. The citrus dough is stuffed with creamy shallot and chive cheese and finished with a hibiscus sea salt to add another savory element and a pop of color.
1 package (5.2 oz.) soft shallot and chive cheese
½ lb. (1 cup) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp. grated lemon zest
1 large egg
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla paste
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1½ tbsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. baking soda
Hibiscus sea salt
1. Measure cheese into teaspoon-sized balls and place on sheet tray. Freeze 7 hours or overnight.
2. In mixer bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy and pale. At medium speed, beat in lemon zest, then beat in egg until blended. Mix in lemon juice and vanilla paste.
3. Combine flour, kosher salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture, mixing until dry ingredients are incorporated.
4. Line baking sheet with parchment. With 1¼-ounce scoop, scoop dough onto prepared sheet; flatten dough. Remove cheese from freezer; place one ball into center of each flattened disk and seal. Press down tops of cookies and sprinkle with hibiscus salt. Refrigerate cookies for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 325 F. Bake cookies 16 minutes, rotating halfway through, until delicately browned.
Photograph courtesy of Boursin Cheese