Central Table Cafe
University of Miami Medical Center
At Morrison Healthcare, ancient grain bowls are enhanced with seasonal vegetable selections, flavorful plant- and bone-based broths and slow-cooked lean proteins. The Harvest Grain Bowl served in the Central Table Cafe at University of Miami Medical Center features farro, quinoa, barley, kale, braised beets, roasted mushrooms and pumpkin seed pesto. Braised chicken or brisket can be added to boost protein or please meat cravers.
Ancient Grain Blend
8 cups homemade vegetable stock
1 cup farro
1/2 cup tri-color quinoa
1/2 cup black barley
2 cups finely chopped kale
1 cup of red wine vinegar
3 cups water
1½ lb. fresh red beets
1 tbsp. coarse ground black pepper
5 thyme sprigs
Roasted Button Mushrooms
1 lb. button mushrooms, quartered
1 1/2 tbsp. olive-canola oil blend
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
Roasted Red Pepper Broth
2 1/2 tsp. olive-canola oil blend
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tbsp. minced garlic cloves
12 oz. canned roasted red peppers strips, drained
1 qt. plus 3 cups homemade vegetable stock
2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Pumpkin Seed Pesto
2 tbsp. water
3 tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds, hulled
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 3/4 tsp. minced garlic cloves
1/2 oz. fresh basil leaves
2 tsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Prepare ancient grain blend: In large saucepan or stockpot over high heat, bring stock to a low boil. Add farro, quinoa and black barley; reduce heat to medium and cover with lid. Cook 25 minutes or until grains are al dente. Keep warm
- Prepare braised beets: Preheat oven to 350 F. In baking pan, combine vinegar, water, beets, pepper and thyme; cover with parchment. Bake for 1 hour or until fork tender. Remove from oven and cool in vinegar. Peel, cut into small dice and chill.
- Prepare roasted mushrooms: Preheat convection oven to 350 F. Toss mushrooms, oil, salt and pepper in large container. Arrange mushrooms on lightly sprayed baking sheets. Spread out evenly and cook for 22 to 25 minutes with high fan.
- Prepare roasted red pepper broth: In large saucepan, heat oil. Sweat onions and garlic in hot oil for 8 minutes. Add roasted red peppers, vegetable stock and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; puree in a blender. Keep warm.
- Prepare pumpkin seed pesto: In blender, puree toasted pumpkin seeds, water and oil until they start to form a paste. Add garlic, basil and Parmesan; puree to a semi-smooth consistency.
- To serve, scoop 6 ounces warm ancient grain blend into bowl. Add 1/4 cup braised beets, 1/4 cup finely chopped kale and 1/4 cup roasted mushrooms. Top with 8-ounce ladle of hot roasted red pepper broth at time of service. Garnish with 1 tbsp. pesto. Serve immediately.