This rich twist on a Southern favorite combines blueberries and pistachios into a signature dessert. The delicious blueberry coulis can be used on desserts or salads.
6 cups prepared cornbread, cut into small cubes
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 egg yolks
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups fresh blueberries
1⁄2 cup unsalted pistachios, skin removed
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 225ºF. Bake cornbread cubes on sheet until dry, about 1 hr.; cool.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, milk, cream, eggs, yolks, and vanilla extract. Gently stir
- in cornbread until coated. Add blueberries and pistachios.
- Transfer to a greased 10x12-in. pan, cover. Bake at 375ºF for 45 min. Uncover; bake 20 more min., or until golden; cool.
- For Blueberry Coulis: In a saucepan, combine sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves. Add blueberries and lemon juice; cook until softened. Puree in blender and force through a sieve; cool.
- Cut pudding into squares; serve with blueberry coulis.