Surf ‘n Turf Sliders
Chef Lamar Moore
Swill Inn and Chit Chat Lounge
Chef Lamar Moore transitioned to mentoring ProStart students during the pandemic. For this crowd-pleasing snack, he takes the classic surf ‘n turf combo and downsizes it into a slider. The surf component is shrimp, while the meat component is ground beef. A cheesy mustard sauce completes the build.
3 oz. unsalted butter
4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 cup heavy cream
2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
1 tbsp. chopped chives
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
3 tbsp. truffle oil
12 brioche dinner rolls, sliced
2 ½ lb. ground beef, portioned in 3 oz. patties
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil, as needed
24 shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
3 oz. chopped garlic
1 oz. chopped parsley
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1. For sauce, in large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until well blended, forming a roux. Stir in cream, cheddar cheese, chives and mustard; cook until thickened. Stir in truffle oil. Keep warm.
2. For sliders, brush split brioche buns with some melted butter; toast until golden and set aside.
3. Season beef patties with salt and pepper on both sides. In heavy saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, cook patties, a few at a time, until seared. Flip after 4 minutes and cook until desired doneness.
4. Toss shrimp with chopped garlic, parsley, lemon zest and olive oil. In another heavy saute pan, sear shrimp just until they turn pink; remove from heat and set aside.
5. To assemble, place beef patty on bottom of toasted bun; top with two shrimp and 2 ounces mustard sauce. Cover with top of bun.
Photo courtesy of National Cattlemen’s Beef Association