Strawberry Shortcake Roll
Chef-owner Suzanne Raiford
Daisy’s Lunchbox Cafe and Bakery
Chef Suzanne Raiford entered this summery dessert in a nationwide recipe contest and earned the winning spot in the south-central region. The base is a doctored-up cake mix that is complemented by a creamy filling and juicy fresh strawberries.
3 eggs, at room temperature
¼ cup sour cream
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
½ cups white cake mix
Filling and finishing
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups heavy or whipping cream
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
5 whole strawberries, for garnish
1. Preheat conventional oven to 350 F. or convection oven to 300 F. Spray a 15- by 10-by 1-inch baking sheet or jelly roll pan and line with parchment.
2. For cake, In mixer bowl fitted with whisk attachment, beat eggs at medium speed for 5 minutes. Add sour cream, oil, vanilla and almond extract; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Whisk in cake mix by hand just until blended.
3. Spread batter in prepared baking sheet or pan. Bake 8 to 12 minutes in conventional oven or 7 to 9 minutes in convection oven, turning once, or until lightly browned and top springs back.
4. Run knife along edges of cake to loosen; dust with confectioners’ sugar while hot.
Cover with a new sheet of parchment paper and invert onto table; remove parchment paper from bottom of the cake. Starting with short end, roll up cake with parchment; cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, for filling, combine cream cheese and sugar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment; mix at medium speed until fluffy. Scrape bowl; add vanilla and beat to blend. Increase speed to high and gradually add heavy cream; whip until stiff peaks form, scraping bowl occasionally.
6. Reserve 1 cup filling in pastry bag; divide remaining mixture in half. Carefully unroll cake from parchment and spread with half the filling mixture. Place sliced strawberries on top, leaving a 2-inch border on short end.
7. Carefully roll cake back up as tightly as possible; place seam-side down on platter.
8. Frost cake with remaining cream cheese mixture and pipe rosettes on top; place whole strawberries on rosettes. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until set; cut into slices for serving.
Photo courtesy of General Mills