Lemon & Cheese Stuffed Cookies
Chef Paola Velez
Maydan, Compass Rose DC and La Boedga Bakery DC
Chef Velez is known as “the cookie lady” in her family and these Noche Buena holiday cookies reflect her Latin heritage. She puts a modern savory spin on the recipe by stuffing the dough with creamy shallot and chive cheese, then finishing the cookies with hibiscus maldon salt for a pop of color.
1 box (5.2 oz.) Boursin shallot and chive cheese
1 cup (½ lb.) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp. grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. vanilla paste
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 whole large egg
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (466 g.)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. kosher salt
Hibiscus sea salt, to taste
- Scoop Boursin cheese into 1 teaspoon-sized balls; freeze 7 hours or overnight.
- In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, cream butter and sugars until creamy and pale. Add lemon zest; continue beating to blend. Beat in vanilla paste, lemon juice and egg; mix to blend..
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and kosher salt. Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl and mix until flour is completely incorporated.
- Line baking sheet with parchment. Using a 1.25-ounce scoop, scoop dough onto prepared sheet; flatten to form discs. Remove frozen Boursin cheese from freezer and place cheese in center of each disc; overlap dough to seal cheese inside. Press down tops of cookies and sprinkle with sea salt. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat over to 325 F. Bake cookies 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Cool cookies on wire rack.
Photo courtesy of Bel Brands Foodservice