Honey Nut Puffed Cereal
Chef-owner Jessica Koslow
Chef Jessica Koslow takes puffed rice cereal up a few notches by using it as a base for a granola-type recipe. She combines the puffs with honey, nuts, seeds and a touch of turmeric and cinnamon to create a breakfast cereal that can double as a snack.
4½ cups puffed rice cereal
1 cup sliced almonds
1 tbsp. raw sesame seeds
1¼ tsp. ground turmeric
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 tsp. kosher salt
¼ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. unsalted butter
1/3 cup honey
½ tsp. baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
2. In large, heatproof bowl, combine puffed rice, almonds, sesame seeds, turmeric, cinnamon and salt.
3. In small saucepan, stir together honey, brown sugar and butter. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture simmers; let simmer for 1 to 2 minutes until it reaches about 250 F.
4. Remove from heat and whisk in baking soda. Immediately pour mixture over cereal mixture; stir with a wooden spoon to evenly distribute spices, nuts and seeds. Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake cereal for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Cool completely at room temperature. Break up pieces and place in airtight container to store.
Photo courtesy of National Honey Board