Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
Published in FSD Update
- 86% of school districts in New Hampshire are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 92% of school districts in New Hampshire need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $32,000 per school. Overall, $18.1 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in New Hampshire to better serve healthy foods.
- 36% of school districts in New Hampshire have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 49% expected the resources to be adequate. 25% of SFAs in New Hampshire were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 55% of the districts in New Hampshire need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in New Hampshire:
- 44%: Food processors. Cost to meet statewide need: $221,000.
- 38%: Utility carts. Cost to meet statewide need: $62,000.
- 37%: Software programs. Cost to meet statewide need: $50,000.
- 35%: Scales. Industrial scales weigh bulk ingredients. Cost to meet statewide need: $117,000.
- 34%: Hot holding cabinets. Cost to meet statewide need: $617,000.