Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Published in FSD Update
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
- 93% of school districts in Minnesota are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 96% of school districts in Minnesota need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $47,000 per school. Overall, $98.9 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in Minnesota to better serve healthy foods.
- 25% of school districts in Minnesota have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 37% expected the resources to be adequate. 53% of SFAs in Minnesota were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 52% of the districts in Minnesota need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in Minnesota:
- 51%: Serving-portion utensils. Cost to meet statewide need: $182,000.
- 47%: Food processors. Cost to meet statewide need: $1.1 million.
- 46%: Computers. Cost to meet statewide need: $413,000.
- 44%: Scales. Cost to meet statewide need: $498,000.
- 43%: Salad or fruit/vegetable bar. Cost to meet statewide need: $5.2 million.