Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
Published in FSD Update
- 92% of school districts in Mississippi are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 95% of school districts in Mississippi need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $63,000 per school. Overall, $69.7 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in Mississippi to better serve healthy foods.
- 77% of school districts in Mississippi have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 43% expected the resources to be adequate. 6% of SFAs in Mississippi were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 71% of the districts in Mississippi need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in Mississippi:
- 61%: Combi ovens. Cost to meet statewide need: $8.5 million.
- 55%: Walk-in refrigerators. Cost to meet statewide need: $4.4 million.
- 53%: Walk-in freezers. Cost to meet statewide need: $4.9 million.
- 53%: Sectionizers. Cost to meet statewide need: $115,000.
- 47%: Sets of knives with cutting boards. Cost to meet statewide need: $224,000.