Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Published in FSD Update
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
- 61% of school districts in Arizona are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 84% of school districts in Arizona need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $34,000 per school. Overall, $118.5 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in Arizona to better serve healthy foods.
- 48% of school districts in Arizona have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 69% expected the resources to be adequate. 32% of SFAs in Arizona were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 47% of the districts in Arizona need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in Arizona:
- 46%: Steam table pans. Cost to meet statewide need: $148,000.
- 43%: Walk-in freezers. Cost to meet statewide need: $9.5 million.
- 43%: Mobile milk coolers. Cost to meet statewide need: $3 million.
- 42%: Utility carts. Cost to meet statewide need: $515,000.
- 42%: Serving-portion utensils. Cost to meet statewide need: $164,000.