Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Published in FSD Update
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
- 89% of school districts in Missouri are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 86% of school districts in Missouri need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $12,000 per school. Overall, $109 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in Missouri to better serve healthy foods.
- 33% of school districts in Missouri have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 38% expected the resources to be adequate. 48% of SFAs in Missouri were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 51% of the districts in Missouri need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in Missouri:
- 38%: Software programs. Cost to meet statewide need: $292,000.
- 37%: Sets of knives with cutting boards. Cost to meet statewide need: $407,000.
- 33%: Food processors. Cost to meet statewide need: $1 million.
- 33%: Salad or fruit/vegetable bar. Cost to meet statewide need: $4.9 million.
- 32%: Scales. Cost to meet statewide need: $492,000.