Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
Published in FSD Update
- 67% of school districts in Louisiana are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 93% of school districts in Louisiana need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $99,000 per school. Overall, $111 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in Louisiana to better serve healthy foods.
- 67% of school districts in Louisiana have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 27% expected the resources to be adequate. 3% of SFAs in Louisiana were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 87% of the districts in Louisiana need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in Louisiana:
- 67%: Walk-in freezers. Cost to meet statewide need: $18 million.
- 67%: Sectionizers. Cost to meet statewide need: $181,000.
- 66%: Walk-in refrigerators. Cost to meet statewide need: $10.4 million.
- 65%: Utility carts. Cost to meet statewide need: $323,000.
- 63%: Hot-food serving line counters. Cost to meet statewide need: $3.3 million.