Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Published in FSD Update
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
- 85% of school districts in Hawaii are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 84% of school districts in Hawaii need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $40,000 per school. Overall, $7.9 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in Hawaii to better serve healthy foods.
- 44% of school districts in Hawaii have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 50% expected the resources to be adequate. 22% of SFAs in Hawaii were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 67% of the districts in Hawaii need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in Hawaii:
- 58%: Computers. Cost to meet statewide need: $15,000.
- 53%: Can openers. Cost to meet statewide need: $10,000.
- 53%: Software programs. Cost to meet statewide need: $11,000.
- 47%: Platform and hand trucks. Cost to meet statewide need: $12,000.
- 47%: Hot and/or cold transport containers or carts. Cost to meet statewide need: $134,000.