Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Published in FSD Update
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
- 100% of school districts in Montana are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 82% of school districts in Montana need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $21,000 per school. Overall, $37.2 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in Montana to better serve healthy foods.
- 17% of school districts in Montana have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 21% expected the resources to be adequate. 54% of SFAs in Montana were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 42% of the districts in Montana need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in Montana:
- 39%: Software programs. Cost to meet statewide need: $76,000.
- 37%: Salad or fruit/vegetable bar. Cost to meet statewide need: $2.4 million.
- 35%: Utility carts. Cost to meet statewide need: $96,000.
- 33%: Mobile milk coolers. Cost to meet statewide need: $519,000.
- 32%: Scales. Cost to meet statewide need: $112,000.