Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
Published in FSD Update
- 92% of school districts in Virginia are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 89% of school districts in Virginia need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $52,000 per school. Overall, $86 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in Virginia to better serve healthy foods.
- 70% of school districts in Virginia have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 39% expected the resources to be adequate. 15% of SFAs in Virginia were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 59% of the districts in Virginia need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in Virginia:
- 59%: Walk-in refrigerators. Cost to meet statewide need: $9.1 million.
- 48%: Walk-in freezers. Cost to meet statewide need: $8.6 million.
- 44%: Hot-food serving line counters. Cost to meet statewide need: $2.7 million.
- 42%: Combi ovens. Cost to meet statewide need: $10.6 million.
- 42%: Convection ovens. Cost to meet statewide need: $3.8 million.