Districts making healthy strides but need equipment
Published in FSD Update
Eighty-eight percent of districts need at least one new piece of equipment to serve nutritious foods, according to new study.
- 98% of school districts in Arkansas are successfully serving healthy meals that meet strong nutrition standards.
- 92% of school districts in Arkansas need at least one piece of equipment to better serve nutritious foods. The median cost of this equipment is $59,000 per school. Overall, $103.3 million worth of foodservice equipment is needed in Arkansas to better serve healthy foods.
- 23% of school districts in Arkansas have at least some budget for kitchen equipment upgrades. Of the districts with budgets, 41% expected the resources to be adequate. 58% of SFAs in Arkansas were unsure whether they had a budget to purchase equipment.
- 60% of the districts in Arkansas need kitchen infrastructure changes in at least one school.
Top school kitchen equipment needs in Arkansas:
- 60%: Hot holding cabinets. Cost to meet statewide need: $3.2 million.
- 51%: Utility carts. Cost to meet statewide need: $434,000.
- 48%: Steam table pans. Cost to meet statewide need: $164,000.
- 47%: Scales. Cost to meet statewide need: $393,000.
- 46%: Walk-in refrigerators. Cost to meet statewide need: $11 million.