Zucchini Bread with Icing
This zucchini bread is made with xanthan gum, gluten-free baking powder, quinoa flakes, ground flaxseeds and almond milk, which makes it a perfect option for gluten-free diners.
11/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 large Omega-3 egg
3/4 cup Swerve
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup agave
2 droppers Liquid Stevia Lemon Drops
1 cup zucchini, finely shredded
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup confectioners’ Swerve
2 tsp. unsweetened almond milk
1 dropper Liquid Stevia Vanilla Crème
2 tsp. light agave
1. For bread: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray oil on an 8x4x2-in. loaf pan. Line pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, quinoa flakes and nutmeg and set aside. In small bowl, combine ground flaxseeds with almond milk and set aside. In stand-up mixture, add egg, Swerve, melted coconut oil, agave and liquid Stevia and mix well. Add shredded zucchini and mix until well combined. Stir in walnuts.
3. Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture until just combined. Allow batter to sit for 10 mins. while gluten-free flour and quinoa flakes soak up extra liquid.
4. Pour batter intro prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60 mins., or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 mins. and remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
5. For icing: In stand-up mixer with paddle attachment, mix confectioners’ Swerve, almond milk, liquid Stevia and agave until well combined. Beat icing for 2 to 3 mins. until glossy.
6. Top zucchini bread with icing when cooled.
Recipe by Donald McCoy, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital