Wild Mushroom Calzone
These golden brown pockets of dough enclose a fragrant, earthy mix of mushrooms and spinach. One bite and the cheesy filling comes oozing out.
4 tbsp. oil
4 shallots, minced
3 tsp. garlic, minced
8 cups mixed mushrooms (shiitake, cremini, and button), sliced
2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
Pizza dough, for 8, 8-in. calzones
3 cups spinach, wilted
1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
2 cups mozzarella, shredded
1. In a large pan, heat oil and add shallots. Cook about 3 min. Add garlic and continue to cook until soft.
2. Add mushrooms and thyme and sauté. Set aside.
3. Divide dough into 8 portions and roll each piece out to form 8-in. circles. Transfer dough to pizza stone and set aside. Combine remaining ingredients with mushrooms; mix well.
4. Using a knife, lightly score a line down the center of each circle of dough. Arrange filling on one side. Fold the other side over and pinch edges together.
5. Poke holes in the top of calzones and bake until golden, about 20 min.