White Bean Soup with Ham Hocks and Greens
The aroma of this soup, chock full of beans, turkey and greens, will attract a crowd. It tastes as good as it smells.
1 lb. dried white beans
2 tbsp. oil
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 ham hock
8 cups chicken stock
1 bunch kale or collard greens, cleaned, chopped
8 pieces of cornbread (optional)
1. In a large pot, soak white beans overnight. Drain and reserve.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion, carrot and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Add white beans, ham hock and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook approx. 11⁄2 hr. until beans are tender.
3. Remove ham hock and allow to cool. Shred meat and reserve.
4. Remove half of the soup and puree; return puree to soup and stir.
5. Add shredded meat and shredded kale; bring to a simmer. Season to taste and serve with cornbread.