This "little cheesy thing" becomes something more with the addition of veal and smoked Gouda.
4 lb. veal chuck or shoulder
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 _ qt. veal stock or beef broth
3⁄4 cup chopped celery
6 tbsp. chopped carrots
1 _ tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried thyme
_ tsp. black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
12 flour tortillas (9-in. size)
18 oz. smoked Gouda, shredded
6 cups sliced romaine lettuce
1 _ cups prepared bean dip
1 _ cups guacamole
3⁄4 cup prepared salsa
1. Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper; brown in hot oil.
2. Combine veal stock, celery, carrots, tomato paste, thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaves in utility pan. Add veal; cover pan securely with foil. Bake in 375°F oven 2-2_ hr., or until veal is tender.
3. Remove veal from pan; strain and degrease stock.
4. Per order: Tear or shred 3 oz. braised veal into pieces; season with salt and pepper. Brown veal in 1 tbsp. oil until edges begin to crisp.
5. Spread 1 tortilla with 2 tbsp. bean dip, 2 tbsp. guacamole, and 1 tbsp. salsa. Sprinkle with 1_ oz. Gouda; top with veal and fold in half.
6. Cook filled tortilla in a nonstick skillet until brown and crisp; cut into wedges. Plate with _ cup lettuce and garnish with additional guacamole and salsa.