Truffled Monte Cristo Sandwiches
A meatless Monte Cristo sandwich, with fresh mushrooms and truffle-studded cheese. Serve with a micro greens salad dressed tossed with truffle oil vinaigrette.
8 oz. assorted fresh mushrooms, sliced
8 slices brioche or challah bread
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
8 oz. truffle-studded cheese or Gruyère, shredded
3 tbsp. water
Salt and fresh ground pepper
3 tbsp. truffle oil
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
Assorted micro salad greens (mache, pea shoots, etc.)
Cornichons, for garnish
1. In large sauté pan, melt 1 tbsp. butter. Add mushrooms and sauté 5-10 min.
2. Prepare sandwiches: Spread a little mustard on each bread slice. Evenly divide cheese and mushrooms over four bread slices; top with remaining bread to form sandwiches.
3. In shallow bowl, beat eggs with water and salt and pepper to taste. Dip sandwiches on both sides into egg mixture.
4. Wipe out sauté pan and melt remaining 3 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add
sandwiches; cook until cheese melts and sandwiches are golden, about 4 min. per side.
5. For service, cut sandwiches into triangular quarters. Whisk truffle oil and vinegar; toss
with salad greens. Pile dressed salad greens in middle of plate; arrange sandwich quarters around salad.