Tomato Basil Soup
Prepare for soup season with this simple Tomato Basil Soup.
0.75 oz. butter
3 oz. minced onion
2 oz. diced carrots
2 oz. diced celery
1 tsp. minced garlic
4 oz. tomato purée
1 lb. diced canned tomatoes with juice
2 tsp. chiffonade basil
3 ½ cups 2% milk
¼ cup half-and-half
1 ¼ tsp. granulated sugar
2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic, and sauté until translucent.
- Add tomato purée and diced tomatoes.
- Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Purée with burr mixer until smooth in texture.
- Add basil.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Combine milk and cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add to tomato soup.
- Add sugar.
- Combine water and cornstarch, mix well to make a slurry.
- Add to soup and bring to simmer to slightly thicken.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Recipe by Washington State University, Pullman