Rösti is a Swiss dish made with roughly grated potato. This version uses sweet potatoes and is topped with bacon, crème fraiche and chives.
1 large sweet potato
4 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 pieces bacon
4 tbsp. crème fraiche
4 tbsp. chives
1. Cut sweet potato in half lengthwise and steam for 12 to 15 mins. or until it’s about 2/3 of way done.
2. Allow potato to cool in refrigerator. Using cheese grater shred sweet potato.
3. Form shredded sweet potato into 1-in. cylinders and
season top and bottom with salt and pepper.
4. Heat non-stick pan and heat olive oil. Gently place röstis in pan and allow to cook until bottom edge of rösti turns golden brown.
5. With spatula, flip rösti and allow other side to cook until golden brown. Remove the röstis and place on paper towel.
6. For topping: Render bacon in sauté pan or pot until crispy and place on paper towel. Place crème fraiche in piping bag with tiny star tip.
7. Cut chives into 1/2-in. pieces. Pipe crème fraiche onto rösti. Place bacon and chives on top. Serve slightly warmer than room temperature.
Recipe by San Diego State University, Calif.