Steak & Egg Breakfast Empanadas
Spice up breakfast and brunch menus with this unique take on empanadas. Filled with steak, eggs and cheese, this breakfast item is full of endless flavor.
1 ½ qt. all-purpose flour
4 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening
1 ½ cups cold water
8 eggs scrambled
1 lb. boneless beef sirloin steaks cooked to medium-rare, finely chopped
⅔ cup frozen Southern-style hash browns, cooked
1 ⅓ cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
½ cup + 2 tbsp. A.1. Thick & Hearty Steak Sauce
- Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Add shortening; work into flour mixture by working with fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, mixing with hands 3 to 4 minutes, or until mixture forms smooth elastic ball; cover. Let stand 45 minutes.
- Roll out dough, in batches, on lightly floured surface to ⅛-inch-thickness. Cut into total of 40-1 ounce (3-inch) rounds (or into 20 rounds for trial recipe), rerolling dough scraps as necessary.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Spoon 1 ounce filling onto center of each empanada dough round; lightly moisten edge with water. Fold dough in half; crimp edge with fork. (Or press together edges with your fingers.)
- Add, in batches, to 350°F oil in deep fryer; cook 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain.
Recipe by Kraft
Cooking tip: How to Bake in Oven
Assemble empanadas as directed; place in parchment-lined sheet pans. Bake in 375°F standard oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.