Spicy-Orange Lacquered Scallops with Jícama Slaw
Scallops are grilled with a sweet and spicy glaze. The citrus flavor is carried through in the crunchy and tangy jicama slaw that accompanies the scallops.
6 oz. Florida orange juice concentrate
2 oz. molasses
1 oz. honey
1 1⁄2 tsp. red chili flakes
1 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
Zest of 1 lime
Juice from 1⁄2 lime
1 lb. fresh scallops
Fresh ground pepper
1 lb. jícama, julienne
1 large carrot, julienne
1 cup vinegar
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 bunch chives
1⁄4 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 Florida orange, segmented
1. For spicy-orange sauce combine first eight ingredients.
2. Heat grill to medium-high. Dry scallops. Season with a little oil and pepper.
3. Grill scallops on each side, basting with sauce, until done. Serve over Jícama Slaw and drizzle remaining sauce around scallops.
1. Peel jícama and carrot, cut into julienne and chill.
2. Whisk vinegar and sugar together until sugar dissolves.
3. Cross cut 1⁄2 of the chives and toss in a large mixing bowl with jícama, carrots, and parsley.
4. Pour vinegar mixture over slaw ingredients slowly, use remaining chives, parsley, and orange segments, to garnish dish.