Southwest Avocado Hash and Eggs with Avocado Chili Cream Sauce
An avocado chili cream sauce makes this hash and eggs special. The hash also features avocado, jalapenos, cherry tomatoes and potatoes.
1 cup Southwest Avocado Hash (recipe below)
1/2 cup Avocado Chile Cream Sauce (recipe below)
4 large eggs, grilled or poached
Additional large fresh California avocados for garnish
8 chives, for garnish
Southwest Avocado Hash:
Yield: 4 Cups
2 medium potatoes, peeled, diced
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
2 jalapeños, seeded, diced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 tsp. cumin, ground
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, rough chopped
1 large fresh California avocado, pitted, peeled, diced
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
Avocado Chile Cream Sauce:
Yield: 2 Cups
1 large fresh California avocado
1/2 cup canned green chilies
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tbsp. green onion, chopped
1 cup light cream, divided
2 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tbsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. For Southwest Avocado Hash: Place potatoes in medium pot of cold water seasoned with salt, bring to boil over medium heat. Cook for 3 mins., remove potatoes and cool in ice bath. Drain well.
2. In skillet at medium heat, add olive oil, followed by garlic, onion, bell pepper and jalapeño. Sauté gently, then add potatoes. Toss together to mix, add tomatoes and cumin and heat through. Remove from heat. Fold in cilantro and fresh California avocado. Season with salt and pepper.
3. For Avocado Chile Cream Sauce: In food processor, purée fresh California avocado with chilies, garlic, lemon juice, green onion, a fourth of the cream and herbs. Pour into saucepan and heat on low heat.
4. Stir in remaining cream and cook at low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. Do not allow to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. To assemble: Place 1 cup of Southwest Avocado Hash on plate and top with grilled or poached egg and then 1/2 cup of Avocado Chile Cream Sauce. Garnish with additional sliced fresh California avocado and two whole chives.
Recipe by California Avocado Commission