This delightful combination of smoked turkey and a sweet, tangy cherry sauce is a full-bodied topping for pasta. Zucchini and yellow squash add texture and grated cheese rounds out the dish.
1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
1⁄4 cup kosher salt
2 bay leaves
1⁄2 cup honey
1⁄2 cup molasses
1 1⁄2 lb. turkey
1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
1⁄2 cup olive oil
2 red onions, in 3⁄4-in. slices
3⁄4 cup dry sour cherries
1 cup red wine
2 oz. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
15 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1-2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, in 1⁄2-in. cubes
1 yellow squash, in 1⁄2-in. cubes
2 cups poultry stock
1 lb. fettuccine, cooked
1. In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients with 1 cup water. Add turkey and marinate 3 hr. Smoke turkey, chill and dice into large pieces; reserve.
2. In a separate bowl, combine vinegar and oil and marinate onion slices 3 hr. Grill onions until just tender. Chill; cut into 1⁄2-in. dice.
3. In a bowl, bloom cherries in red wine for at least 1 hr.
4. In a skillet, heat oil and butter. Add garlic and jalapeños and cook until just brown. Add turkey and sear until golden brown; season. Add zucchini, squash and red onion; toss. Add cherries and wine; reduce slightly. Stir in stock; simmer 10 min. until slightly reduced.
5. Toss turkey mixture with pasta and garnish with grated cheese, if desired.