Shredded Duck Sliders with Chipotle BBQ
These unconventional sliders feature chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced onion and soy sauce for an innovative take on a favorite appetizer or small plate.
8 boneless, skinless duck breasts
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups ketchup
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 tbsp. adobo sauce
1 cup diced onion
4 cups onion strips
20 slider buns
1. Butterfly duck breasts and gently flatten to 1/8 inch with mallet.
2. Combine salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder. Sprinkle seasoning mix on both sides of duck breasts.
3. Heat vegetable oil in large sauté pan over high heat. Pan-fry duck 5 minutes on each side, until well browned.
4. In small stainless steel bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar, soy sauce, peppers, adobo and diced onion. Purée until onions and chipotles are fine mince. Heat sauce gradually in small saucepan over low heat.
5. Thin slice duck. Add barbecue sauce and mix well. Heat duck until it reaches internal temperature of 160°F.
6. Deep-fry onion strips in 350°F fryer for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain well.
7. Place ¼ cup of duck on each bun. Spread 2 tablespoons fried onions over duck. Cover with top of bun and serve.
Recipe by Maple Leaf Farms