Roasted Vegetable Tortillas
These roasted vegetable tortillas are a great option for vegans. The tortillas combine asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, red onion with a fresh tomato salsa for a bright and vibrant menu option.
16 asparagus spears, ends removed
1 medium zucchini, sliced on bias 1/4-in. thick
1 medium yellow squash, sliced on bias 1/4-in. thick
1 medium eggplant, sliced on bias 1/4-in. thick
1 whole red onion, thinly sliced
5 tsp. olive oil
21/2 tbsp. dried rosemary
4 10-in. flour tortillas
4 oz. Tomato Salsa (recipe follows)
Yield: 4 servings
10 plum tomatoes, cored, peeled, puréed
1 red onion, minced
1 jalapeño, ribbed, seeded, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 bunch cilantro, minced
Juice of 5 fresh limes
Salt to taste
1. In separate bowls, combine each vegetable with 1 tsp. olive oil and about ½ tbsp. dried rosemary and toss.
2. Lay out each vegetable on separate sheet pans and roast for approximately 10 to 15 mins., or until soft, yet crisp and slightly golden. Remove and set aside.
3. Bake tortillas on sheet pan for approximately 5 mins. to warm up and lightly toast.
4. For tomato salsa: purée plum tomatoes in food processor. Transfer purée to bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine and season to taste with salt.
5. To assemble: Lay toasted tortilla on plate. Layer with each vegetable, color coordinating.
Ladle about 4 oz. Tomato Salsa over vegetables and serve.
Recipe by Pnina Peled, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York City