Roasted Chicken and Fruit Salad
Delectable roasted fruit tops this warm chicken salad. Served on a bed of greens with a flavorful vinaigrette, this salad is satisfying and delicious.
1 5-6-lb. roasting chicken
1 lemon or orange
4 Asian pears
4 Granny Smith apples
Olive oil, as needed
8 strips of bacon, fried, crumbled
8 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
3 bunches scallions, sliced
4 stalks celery, sliced
8 oz. walnuts, chopped
Mixed greens, as needed
2 cups champagne-mustard vinaigrette
1. Thoroughly rinse bird. Pat dry, rub with lemon, and season. Roast uncovered for approx. 2 hr. at 350° F. oven, occasionally basting with pan juices. Remove from oven; allow to rest at least 20 min.
2. Carve bird, slicing meat with the skin on. Set aside.
3. Spread walnuts on a sheet pan and roast at 350° F. 3-5 min., shaking pan once. Reserve.
4. Wash, core, and quarter pears and apples. Brush lightly with olive oil, and roast at 350° F. until flesh turns golden.
5. Atop a bed of greens, layer chicken, bacon, blue cheese, scallions, celery, and walnuts. Garnish with roasted apples and pears. Drizzle with vinaigrette.