Red Lentil Crusted Goat Cheese with Three Lentil Salad and Ruby Red Grapefruit Vinaigrette
Chef Tracy O’ Grady, of Willow in Arlington, Va., combines classic French and North Italian influences in her menus. This salad is a perfect example, combining three types of lentils—red, green and brown, creamy goat cheese, ruby red grapefruit and vegetables for a flavorful accompaniment to any meal, vegetarian or meat.
1 cup cooked red lentils, leave al dente and reserve ¼ cup to crust the goat cheese
1 cup brown lentils, cooked
1 cup green lentils, cooked
5 spears broccolini, cooked and roughly chopped
1 head endive, sliced
9 oz. goat cheese, formed into 6 - 2” logs
1/8 cup, plus 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. 20-year sherry vinegar
½ ruby red grapefruit, peeled, with supremes removed and remaining juice squeezed into a bowl
1 lime, juiced
Kosher salt, to taste
Cracked black pepper, to taste
1. Combine three varieties of lentils in a non-reactive bowl, reserving ¼ cup of red lentils to crust the goat cheese.
2. Add broccolini, endive, 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside for ½-1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
3. Place remaining red lentils on shallow tray and roll goat cheese logs in lentils until well coated. Place lentil logs into baking pan.
4. Combine grapefruit supremes, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil in non-reactive bowl and whisk until emulsified. Season with salt to taste.
5. Just before serving, heat goat cheese logs for between 3-5 min. in a 350° F oven until warm, but not melting apart.
6. Distribute lentils onto six plates, place goat cheese logs on lentils and drizzle with citrus vinaigrette. Pair with smoked grilled chicken.
Recipe by Chef Tracy O’ Grady, Willow, Arlington, Va. Recipe courtesy of USA Dry Pea & Lentil Association