These rajas, made of red bell peppers, onions and mild chiles, are a great addition to tacos.
3 large onions
1 lb. whole mild fresh chiles (such as poblano or Anaheim)
1 medium red bell pepper (or 1 pint mini sweet bell peppers)
Olive or vegetable oil
1. Cut onions crosswise into 1/2-in. thick slices.
2. To grill: Place whole chiles and bell peppers on rack over medium coals. Grill for 10 to 15 mins., until blistered and charred on all sides, turning as needed. Place chiles and bell peppers in bowl and cover for 5 mins. Meanwhile, put onion slices on grill, brush with oil and grill 10 to 15 mins., or until charred on both sides.
3. Peel off and discard as much skin as possible from chiles and bell peppers. Cut out cores and discard seeds. Cut into 1/2-in. wide strips. Separate roasted onion slices into rings and combine with chile and bell pepper strips. Serve with grilled meats or chicken.
4. To broil: Arrange onion slices by single layer in shallow pan and brush with about 3 tbsp. oil. Broil for 15 to 20 mins. or until tender and charred, turning once.
5. Transfer to saucepan and place chiles and bell peppers in same shallow pan. Broil 15 to 20 mins., turning only once or until blistered and charred on both sides. Skin, core and seed chiles and bell peppers and cut into strips. Add to onions, heat through and serve with meat or chicken.
Recipe by National Onion Association