A great option for vegans, these quinoa cakes feature garlic, onions, celery and carrots.
1¾ cup sushi rice
3½ cup water
¼ cup + 3 tbsp. pure olive oil
½ tsp. garlic, finely chopped
3½ oz. onions, ¼-in. dice
3½ oz. celery, ¼-in. dice
3½ oz. carrots, ¼-in. dice
10½ oz. quinoa grain
1 lb. + 5½ oz. water
3 tbsp. + 1½ tsp. vegetable base vegan savory
1⅜ tsp. thyme, whole
1 bay leaf
1. Cook sushi rice on the stove using 3½ cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes covered. Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 more minutes. Allow to cool.
2. Lightly brown garlic in olive oil in a small soup pot. Add diced onion, celery and carrots. Sauté for 1 minute until onions become translucent.
3. Add water, vegetable base, quinoa and spices to soup pot, mixing well. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Allow to cool.
5. Mix rice and quinoa together in soup pot or large bowl.
6. Scoop mixture into 2 oz. balls, then flatten out into small cakes.
7. Bake in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes to heat through.
Recipe by Bates College, Lewiston, Maine