A delightful sampler of four different deli type fillings on one plate in this unusual presentation of a delicious grilled sandwich.
8 slices ciabatta bread
1 1⁄2 oz. semi-soft Italian cheese
3 oz. prosciutto
1 oz. sweet onion, sliced
Salt & pepper, as needed
6 slices sweet coppa
1 cherry pepper with seeds, sliced
8 arugula leaves
1 1⁄2 oz. basil pesto
3 slices mozzarella
2 tbsp. pepperonata (cubed red peppers, roasted with thyme and hot chili)
10 thin slices soppressatta
2 oz. fontina
8 leaves arugula
Olive oil, as needed
Balsamic vinegar, as needed
Cured olives, if desired, for garnish
1. For the first sandwich, layer 1 slice of bread with cheese and top with prosciutto and sweet onion. Season with salt and pepper; reserve.
2. For the second sandwich, layer 1 slice of bread with sweet coppa, sliced cherry pepper and arugula. Season with salt and pepper; reserve.
3. For the third sandwich, spread 1 slice of bread with basil pesto and layer with mozzarella and pepperonata. Season with salt and pepper; reserve.
4. For the fourth sandwich, layer 1 slice of bread with soppressatta and fontina and top with arugula. Season with salt and pepper; reserve.
5. Just prior to grilling, drizzle sandwiches with olive oil. Drizzle a tiny amount of vinegar on sandwich #2, to taste. Then, top all sandwiches with remaining bread and grill in panini press.
6. Cut each sandwich in quarters, and serve one quarter of each sandwich for each serving. Garnish with cured olives, if desired.