Potato Kale Burger
This burger is no ordinary burger. Featuring two different types of potatoes and fresh vegetables, this burger is filled with endless flavors and layers.
3 baked potatoes, peeled
6 oz. chopped kale
5 oz. shredded sweet potatoes
4 oz. finely chopped red onions
1 tsp. garlic
½ cup + 1 tbsp. biased-cut scallions
2 ½ oz. red peppers
1 ½ oz. sliced jalapeños
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
4 oz. Rice Chex rice
12 oz. puréed original hummus
- Bake potatoes at 350°F until soft. When potatoes are done, cool and peel.
- While potatoes are cooking, roughly chop kale and sprinkle with kosher salt in mixer. Beat kale using paddle on medium to high for about 4 minutes, or until soft.
- In bowl, combine kale, sweet potatoes, red onions, garlic, scallions, red pepper and jalapeños. Reserve some scallions for garnish.
- Combine potatoes with vegetables and add salt and pepper. Mash together with hands or mixer.
- Run Rice Chex through blender. Reserve a quarter of Rice Chex to dredge patties before grilling. Once Rice Chex resembles flour, add ¾ amount to potatoes and vegetables. Mix well until mixture is dry enough to make patties. If batter is still wet, add more Rice Chex.
- Make 4-ounce patties and dredge in Rice Chex flour. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes so patties can set up.
- Heat flattop to 350°F and spray griddle with oil. Sear patties on both sides, until crisp and brown.
- Top with dollop (1 ounce) of classic hummus and biased-cut scallions.
Recipe by University of Connecticut