Plantain-Coated Chicken Breasts
These tender chicken breasts are encased in a delightful plantain breading. The golden, crusty chicken is served on a bed of black bean puree and topped with cheese.
8 large green plantains
Vegetable oil, as needed
8 chicken breasts
4 cups black bean puree
1⁄4 lb. queso blanco or other mild cheese, finely chopped
1. Make a cut down the side of each plantain and soak in warm water for 10-15 min. Peel away skin and thinly slice plantains on mandolin.
2. In a large pot of hot oil, fry plantains until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels.
3. Transfer plantains to food processor and mix until plantains are coarse crumbs. Transfer plantain crumbs to a plate.
4. In a small bowl, mix together eggs and 2 tbsp. water. Dip seasoned chicken breast in the egg, then in the plantains.
5. In a large sauté pan, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Sauté chicken, crust side down about 3 min. or until golden. Turn over, lower heat, and cook another 6 min., or until done.
6. Serve on black bean puree with chopped queso blanco cheese.