Pinto Honey Custard
Sweeten up any customer’s day with a rich crème brûlée base that hosts caramelized orange and a purée of candied Bush’s Best® Pinto Beans that add depth of texture and flavor to a unique dessert.
3 cups, Bush’s Pinto beans, drained*
1 cup, Water
1/2 cup, Honey
1 Tbsp, Orange, zest, fresh
1-1/2 tsp, Orange blossom water
8, Eggs, large, yolks
3/4 cup, Sugar, granulated
3 cups, Half & Half
2 strips,Orange, fresh, long strip of zest
1 tsp, Kosher salt
Non-stick cooking spray, as needed
1-1/2 cup, Caramelized orange slices
Fresh raspberries, optional, s needed
Caramelized Orange Slices (Yields 12)
2 large Oranges, sliced, fresh
1-1/2 cups Sugar, granulated
1/2 cup Water
1. In pot, add beans, water, honey and zest. Simmer until tender and liquid is reduced to thick consistency. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
2. Stir in orange blossom water. Process bean mixture in food processor, pulse until purée is almost smooth with some bean texture remaining. Reserve. (Yields about 2 cups purée.)
3. In stainless bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy. Hold.
4. In stainless pot, bring cream, orange zest and salt almost to a boil. Remove from heat.
5. Add cream mixture a little at a time to egg mix, whisking after each addition. Fold in bean purée until incorporated.
6. Spray twelve 8-oz custard cups. Line each with Caramelized Orange Slices. Drizzle any remaining caramel evenly over each orange slice. Scoop 1/2 cup of bean custard into each cup.
7. Place in water bath with water half-way up the sides of the custard cups. Bake in 300°F conventional oven for 40–45 minutes or until custard is set. Remove from oven and water bath. Cool on a wire rack to almost room temperature before serving.
To serve: Unmold each custard cup onto dessert plate with orange slice presented on top. Serve garnished with fresh raspberries if desired.
To make Caramelized Orange Slices:
1. Slice each orange into six 1/4-in thick slices. Set aside.
2. In medium stainless pot, combine sugar and water. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until liquid is amber in color. Add orange slices, turn to coat with caramel syrup. Cook 1–2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately. Caramel should not get too dark. Use as directed above.
*Other beans may be substituted including: Cannellini, Great Northern or Kidney.