Enticing aromas come from this delectable peach tart as it bakes. Bubbling and golden it is a dessert sure to please.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3 tbsp. sugar
10 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and well chilled
4-5 tbsp. ice water
1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tsp. water
5 or 6 peaches, peeled and sliced (about 5 cups)
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of kosher salt
1. Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and 1 tbsp. sugar. Add the cold butter all at once. Mix on low speed until mixture begins to resemble coarse cornmeal with some large chunks. Add ice water, 1 tbsp. at a time, tossing it with the dough.
2. Once the dough holds together; put it onto a piece of plastic wrap and gather it up to form a flat, round disk. Wrap it well in the plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least an hour.
1. Combine all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
2. To assemble and bake: Heat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 14- to 15-in. circle; trim any rough edges, to maintain shape. Transfer dough to the baking sheet, allowing any excess to hang over the sides.
3. Pour the filling onto the dough, leaving a 2-in. edge of dough with no filling on it. Fold the dough over the fruit toward the center, pleating and overlapping as necessary. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle the galette with the 2 tbsp. sugar.
4. Bake until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 45-50 min. Remove from the oven and let cool a little before cutting.