Oregon Hazelnut Bagels
Sliced hazelnuts add nice crunch and a bit of sweet nuttiness to this bagel. Toast and serve with flavored cream cheese.
10 lb. high-gluten wheat flour
13 oz. water
8 oz. Oregon Hazelnuts (thinly sliced)
3 oz. salt
4 3⁄4 oz. malt syrup (non-diastic)
4 3⁄4 oz. honey
3 1⁄2 oz. yeast (compressed)
1. Add all ingredients and mix to full development. Final dough temperature should remain within 77° F. and 80° F.
2. Allow about 10 min. proof time prior to make-up.
1. Scale at the desired weight (i.e. 2 oz.) and shape by hand or automated forming equipment. Allow about 30 min. proof time.
2. Boil for about one min.; drain.*
3. Bake at 390° F. for 16-19 min. or until light golden brown.
*NOTE: The boiling step may be omitted, with the use of low-pressure steam baking. Bagels may be flipped over in oven after several min. for a rounded surface on both sides.